What is Sciatica
Sciatica is a term used to describe the pain along the sciatic nerve. This starts from the lower back and can run down the back of the leg. Symptoms may vary depending on where the sciatic nerve is irritated or compressed.
What are the common symptoms?
- Different types of pain such as dullness, burning sensation, aching and sharp shooting pain in the lower back
- Weakness in the affected leg
- Symptoms are worse when sitting down. Standing back up is usually limited by pain
What are the common causes?
- Bulged disc
- Abnormal bony growth
- Locked joint
What would most doctors do?
- Perform a physical assessment focusing on muscle strength, sensation or reflexes
- Send you for imaging such as X-ray, CT scan or MRI scan, and associate the findings with your symptoms
- Prescribe medication for pain relief which does not actually resolve the problem. This may be encouraged initially for a short period of time only if daily activities are limited by pain
- Advise on common self-management strategies including rest and avoid any activities involve bending or twisting movements
- Advise to have surgical intervention which might be unnecessary
How can we help?
Your doctors may associate the findings of disc degeneration/ disc bulges in imaging (eg. X-ray, CT scan or MRI scan) with your symptoms and even suggest having surgery.
However, most of the time by treating remote body parts (such as the calf and shoulder muscles), symptoms and sciatica can be improved immediately.
Based on our clinical experience, many patients with sciatica are able to get back to their normal life and what they enjoy doing without having surgery.
By doing a comprehensive head-to-toe examination and treatment direction test, we can often identify the real cause and improve your condition dramatically within a few sessions.
Therefore, do not feel hopeless even if your doctors advise you to have surgery because simple hands-on treatments and exercise program can be the solution of your condition.
Our unique approach includes:
- Comprehensive head-to-toe assessment to find out the causes of your discomfort and all related contributing factors
- Written report with explanation of your condition and recommended treatment plan will be provided
- 100% Hands-on treatment targeting the real causes of your problem and address any mobility issues related to nerves, muscles and joints
- An individualized home exercise program is prescribed to enable self-management
What would happen if you leave it untreated?
Generally, the longer you have had the injury, the longer it will take to recover. Most of the time, you may assume things will get better by themselves with enough rest. But this is rarely the case, especially if your pain or other symptoms are stopping you from doing what you normally able to do. So, take action and get back doing what you love as soon as possible.
People also watch
Low Back Pain Education
LBP Squat and Deadlift